Saturday, November 5, 2011

Looking through the " Aam Aadmi's " glasses ...

I am an ordinary Indian Citizen, and it is widely assumed that I do not understand even an iota of economics.

To some extent it is true, I am not an economist. I do not understand the statistics and complexities of investigations based on which a nation's year-on-year growth is decided and then documented. I  am just an individual with average intelligence and senses. 

But India is the home of many famous economists  including our Prime Minister Shri Manmohan Singh. He has been in power for almost eight years  now, along with his very capable cabinet.

Then why is:


  • India standing 15th in the The Global Hunger Index (GHI) 2011. The GHI of India went up from 22.9 to 23.7 in the last 15 years.


  • 37% of Indian population living below poverty line.  
  • spending Rs.32  or more a day defining people as being "not poor" 

  • Isn't this unfortunate?
    “In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of.”  
    ~ Confucius  (China's most famous teacher, philosopher, and political theorist, 551-479 BC)

    Ask me my understanding of developing economy.. and I can say only say

    I would know poverty is declining when 

    wouldn't have to hear the news of farmers committing suicide under the burden of debts.. 

    I wouldn't have to give spiteful looks to able-bodied individuals who have foregone their self-respect and resorted begging for alms in the Bazaar streets.. 

    When I wouldn't hear of Parents abandoning their children being unable to bear the cost of their living... There wouldn't be children dying of malnutrition


    what is my idea of economic growth...? It is the poor getting free medical treatment and medicines.. Every child growing up in good sanitation and hygienic surroundings, without being scorched by the heat of exploitation.. 


    Each person being able to sufficiently clothe himself and earn his three meals each day.
    This is my idea of economic growth.. "

    Yes, I am an ignorant fellow who does not know how an economically-challenged nation is run. 

    That is why, I have trusted power in the hands of a Govt. which is capable... and I am waiting for the day when compromising will no more be the only way of life for me. I am waiting in anticipation,  that one day the Economists who run this nation's economy will materialize my dream into reality. I have been waiting since decades...


    Isn't this exactly what is expected of me? To wait till my hopes are shattered and battered... and after that elect another Govt. who will promise me a world of facilities but provide none. If I raise my voice, I am muted. If I support a movement I am termed un-constitutional. Then what option do I have, but to sit and watch, as my country and my brethren are being pushed into the dungeons of poverty; and still hope that times will change.


                                                                    -- Another Aam Aadmi like you






    No comments: